The West Bengal Board of Secondary Education (WBBSE) was established in 1951 under the act of state Legislature called West Bengal Secondary Education Act 1950. This board was inaugurated by the Governor of West Bengal Dr. K.N. Katju on 3rd May 1951.
Previously this was done by the Calcutta University. Then board was subsequently renamed as West Bengal Board of Secondary Education in 1964 under the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education Act 1963. This board was superseded by the state govt. Twice. The first Instance from 1954 to 1963 and the second from 1978 to 1980.
Functions Of WBBSE
- To make the necessary arrangements for conducting the examinations at the school level. At present, the board conducts exam at the secondary level.
- The board prescribes the course and textbooks for school education. The board has an academic wing having expert teachers of all subject. The main responsibility of experts is to prepare and revise the syllabus regularly and then prepare textbooks accordingly.
- The arrangement of the preparation, improvement, publication, printing and sale of the textbooks.
- To make the arrangements for affiliation of the schools of the board.
- To make the efforts to improve the quality of education in the schools.
- To act as an advisory body to state government regarding school education.
Branches of WBBSE
- Academic Branch
- Accounts Branch
- Certificate Branch
- Establishment Branch
- Examination Branch
- Affiliation Branch
The syllabus of WBBSE is designed by the team of expert teachers of all the subjects. The syllabus is modified regularly by the team of experts for the different academic sessions. The board prepares the syllabus according to the overall growth of the students, present demand and necessity of the student’s growth. WBBSE has given the syllabus for all courses offered by him online. You can download it from the official website of WBBSE.
WBBSE Roll Number/Admit Card
West Bengal board of secondary education issues the roll number or admit card for secondary examinations. All the admit cards/roll numbers are issued few days before the examinations. Roll number or admit card is compulsory to sit into the examination hall. The students without admit card will not be permitted to sit in the examination hall.
In West Bengal board of secondary education, more than 10,50,000 candidates take exams every year. The examinations of the 10th class are called Madhyamik Pariksha or secondary examination.
The Madhyamik examination is conducted annually and simultaneously all over the state of West Bengal and also in those schools which are affiliated with this board located in West Bengal or elsewhere in India.
West Bengal board of secondary education conducts the examinations for the secondary standard in the month of the February/March and the result is declared in the month of June. The result can be seen by the students after the declaration of the board. Click Here to see the WBBSE Result.
Last Year result statistics of 10th class:
Total candidate appeared:- 11,43,372
Candidate passed:- 9,27,453
Total passing percentage:- 82.74%
Passing percentage of Boys:- 86.34%
Passing percentage of Girls:- 79.62%
WBBSE Contact Details
Formation: – In the Year 1951
Headquarters: – Kolkata, India.
Location: – Nivedita Bhawan, Block DJ-8, Sector-II, Salt Lake, Kolkata – 700091